Vitamin D deficiency symptoms in adults will be described in the following article. This vitamin is very important for growth and development. Numerous researches have shown that vitamin D can help in preventing various diseases.
Vitamin D is synthesized in the human body, during the sun exposure. It can also be produced in the skin of animals. Certain amounts of vitamin D are found in foods like milk products, animal meat, eggs and fish oil. However, we cannot say that these quantities are good enough to satisfy our daily needs. The best way to get vitamin D is to spend at least twenty minutes in the sun 3 or 4 times a week. If you are dark-skinned, your sun exposure will have to be longer than twenty minutes, because dark skin needs more time to produce this vitamin. D3 is very important for maintaining normal levels of calcium and phosphorus. This is closely related to normal growth and development of bones.
Low vitamin D levels can lead to various problems. In children, low levels of this vitamin can cause rickets. In adults, low vitamin D levels can cause serious complications; in people who already suffer from certain diseases, lack of vitamin D can make these problems much worse.
It is important to know the symptoms of low vitamin D levels, because if you recognize them in time, you will be able to start treating this condition and prevent it from getting worse.
Vitamin D Deficiency in Adults
In the beginning, this condition is usually asymptomatic. That is exactly why most people do not even know they are deficient in vitamin D. It may take months until the first symptoms appear.
The most common symptoms in adults include:
● Bone fractures
● Constant fatigue
● Low energy levels
● Unexplained depression
● The lack of this vitamin may cause complications in people who suffer from diabetes. This disease can be very difficult to control if a person is deficient in vitamin D.
● In people who have high blood pressure, low vitamin D levels can make this problem worse.
● Low vitamin D levels can be related to increased cholesterol levels in blood.
● Depression can be one of the problems caused by long-term deficiency. Depressive state can be caused by other factors; it is non-specific, and people never relate it to low vitamin D.
● Vitamin D deficiency may increase the risk of certain types of cancer. According to several researches, vitamin D can be very helpful in preventing breast cancer in women and prostate cancer in men. It can be used in cancer therapy, too.
● Scientists have a reason to believe that vitamin D should be included in HIV treatment. More researches will have to be done to see how effective vitamin D is in treating this disease.
● Obesity is one of the problems that can be related to low vitamin D levels. Obesity can be caused by different factors, but it seems that people who are deficient in vitamin D have difficulties losing weight. According to recent researches, people whose vitamin D levels are low have less success in losing weight, compared to people whose vitamin D levels are normal.
It is important to know where to get vitamin D. Keeping your vitamin D levels normal will help you stay healthy; however, it is not always easy to get enough sunlight, especially if you live in a country where the weather is cold all the time. That is why vitamin D supplements are considered the best way to get vitamin D, especially during the winter months.